From my grandmother and my father
- Skins of 6 oranges no treated and dried overnight (24 quarters)
- 1 Litre of dry rosé or white wine
- 1 Large wineglass of dark rum
- 250 g sugar
Dissolve 250 g sugar with 1 litre of rosé wine and the dark rum. Add oranges skins. Let marinate during 21 days minimum, and then filter through coffee filters before bottling.
Advices or Suggestions
- The orange wine is better as it ages.
- Rosé wine enhances the colour.
- For having less deposit and bitterness, I take away a part of the “white” of the orange skin (mesocarp).
- Sometimes my father put in 2 cloves and/or a little vanilla pod during the marinating.
If you would like to see how it’s done, watch our video featuring Susan Chitty and her secret cocktail cupboard!